Action Alert: Stop the Salem Gas Plant, Prevent Decades of Pollution
RIDESHARE BOARD HERE
FACEBOOK PAGE HERE
- Stop special favors for special interests. Construction of the plant would be “a bald-faced special favor for three guys from New Jersey [Footprint Power] with one specific project.”
- We can make a difference. Governor Patrick has the executive authority to ban new fossil fuel infrastructure. It’s our job to build the support he needs to take that step.
- Building more natural gas will violate the law. The state’s climate law requires that our greenhouse gas emissions shrink 80% by 2050- but decades of emissions from a Salem gas plant will break the law by making us miss that target.
- We should invest in the alternatives. The projected power needs of Salem can be met through energy efficiency and transmission line upgrades. Those zero-carbon alternatives are smarter investments for our Commonwealth than an unnecessary gas plant.
- Our rights are being violated in the approval process. Rep. John Keenan has pursed a sneaky legislative maneuver to push the plant through, depriving residents, citizens and ratepayers of rights to due permitting process and appeals.
- The local community has requested our help. Members of the local community have organized to oppose the plant and are working closely with 350MA’s Climate Legacy campaign team.
- It’s another chance to sport your fashionable 350MA shirt.